headerimg




Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Building Better Metrics: Focus on Patient Empowerment





Growing up during the 1970’s and 80’s, the “Little House on the Prairie” television series was an iconic part of my childhood.  Doc Baker was the physician and veterinarian for all of Walnut Grove, in spite of limited resources.  Medical lessons were everywhere in the beloved television series:  Mary experiencing onset of blindness (most recently attributed to viral meningoencephalitis, likely from Measles), the death of Laura’s infant son by unknown cause, and Rose’s survival after smallpox infection.    

When patients ask me how to start solid foods, how to get a baby to sleep through the night, or how to treat minor injuries or burns, I frequently wonder if they would have asked the town doctor these same questions one hundred years ago.  Probably not, because they would know to watch their baby for hunger cues, let infants cry it out at night, or slap some egg white, aloe, or honey on their wounds or burns to prevent infection back then.  Empowering patients to treat themselves where appropriate has tremendous value to cut down on cost and consumption of precious resources.  It was also how medicine was practiced more than a century ago.

The other night I was reading comments of a local mom group on social media, when a question came up about how to treat thrush while breastfeeding.  A patient’s mother commented they should use gentian violet; paint their own nipples and their infants’ mouth lightly as well.  A mom asked, “What is gentian violet?” This mother discussed its antibacterial and antifungal properties and its topical use for oral candidiasis.  I felt a huge sense of pride watching her share knowledge with other mothers.  The cost of a 1oz. bottle of gentian violet is currently $3.69. 

Crystal violet (aka gentian violet) was first developed in 1883 by Alfred Kern; it is still listed today by the World Health Organization as a valuable topical antiseptic agent.  Gentian violet has antibacterial, antifungal, anthelminthic, and antitrypanosomal properties. Today, it is used for:  Marking the skin for surgery preparation, treating Candida albicans and related infections, such as thrush, yeast infections, tinea, jock itch, ringworm, and even Impetigo, primarily before the advent of antibiotics. Educating mothers on thrush and the use of gentian violet occasionally helps them avoid seeking care when unnecessary. 

Patient-centered care is often talked about as a virtue worthwhile to attain because it puts them at the heart of their healthcare team.  Empowerment goes one step further by actually giving power and authority to the patient.  It is a very important concept that is often missed in the world of big-box medicine today.  There is actually an organization devoted to this concept called the European Network on Patient Empowerment (ENOPE.)  According to them, an empowered, activated patient:

  • Understands their health condition and its effect on their body.
  • Feels able to participate in decision-making with their healthcare professionals
  • Feels able to make informed choices about treatment.
  • Understands the need to make necessary changes to their lifestyle for managing their condition.
  • Is able to challenge and ask questions of the healthcare professionals providing their care.
  • Takes responsibility for their health and actively seeks care only when necessary
  • Actively seeks out, evaluates and makes use of information.

Empowering patients to care for themselves with shared decision making is the reason my doors are still open.  Fee-for-service can be a fiscally valuable model because for one office visit, a patient can receive diagnosis, treatment, and education from a single professional.  Physician ownership encourages patient empowerment because it prevents doctors from spinning their wheels needlessly.  There is no benefit to seeing a patient over and over for the same chief complaint. We want our schedule open for other patients who need our help.  To avoid the journey overwhelming burnout, we need to lighten the load in our offices. 

Over the last century, health care has morphed from a system valuing individual responsibility to one grounded in physician dependency.  Patients are viewed as clients who ravenously consume scarce resources, while physicians dispense answers and guidance for a price deemed too high by bureaucrats to be sustainable.  Knowing how invested patients are in understanding their conditions and their willingness to take responsibility for their good or bad choices are metrics worth tracking. It is important to remember physicians make recommendations, educate their patients, and would do best by engaging in shared decision making with those patients.  That entire process saves money and improves how patients view their quality of care. 

A 3 year old girl came in with a history of 3 days of vomiting this week.  “I have been pushing oral rehydration solution with a syringe like you taught me,” she said.  Her mother knew how to check for signs of dehydration using urination frequency and a few other tricks I have taught over the years.  She knew when vomiting persisted in spite of proper rehydration attempts, it was time to bring her daughter in for evaluation. Her child had lost less than 0.5kg due to her mother’s excellent care and diligence.  I could not have been more proud and shared that with her.  At this point, it was reasonable to prescribe her a medication to reduce nausea and vomiting, but no ER visit was necessary because this mother had confidence in her skills to care for her child properly, and if she needed her PCP, she knew I would be there. 

Better metrics must be about being better able to empower our patients.  They are tired of being told how to birth their children, how to immunize them, how to lose weight, quit smoking, or exercise more, and how to treat their elevated blood pressure and cholesterol numbers.  I am not suggesting we stop sharing our expertise and making recommendations based on good science.  However, patients want to make their own informed choices and we need to let them.  Doc Baker had it right.  Take another look at his practice model in “Little House on the Prairie.”  A system incentivizing self-reliance is far more sustainable in the future and is where we should strive to be.


10 comments:

  1. I have tried so many treatment on my thrush because i was diagnose some years ago which my doctor have be giving me some medication and all i gt is regular outbreaks but when i contacted Dr Oboite, i told him about my problems he gave me an herbal remedy and asked me to take it for just one week which i did. and i got cured using his natural remedy according to his prescription. anyone living with thrush, do write to him his email droboiteherbalcurehome@gmail.com or whatapps, call +2348054265852.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casting of Simple and Effective Love Spell. Easy Love Spell. Spells for Attraction between two Lovers. Binding Love Spell. Get back Lost Lover Spell. Spells to Strengthen Love Relation. Lost Love Spell. Soul Mate Spell. Marriage Spell for a happy Married Life. Retrieve a Lost Love Spell Bring Back Your Love Spell. Gay Love Spells, Lesbian Love Spells. Anti Love Spells, Divorce Spells, Break Up Spells. How to Get Back Ex Boyfriend, or Ex Girlfriend. Casting Spells to Get Rid of Your Husband, Wife or Partner without Fights or them hating you. Magic Rings. Powerful Rings. Spells to Stop a Divorce. Voodoo Spells for Love. Love Return Spell mail dr jaj drjajspellhome@gmail.com or call  +2349031670905  result is 100% guarantee
     MONEY & PROSPERITY SPELLS
    How to Cast Magic Money Spells. Lottery Spells or Lotto Spells. Voodoo Spells for Money. Black Magic Spell for Money PROTECTION AND BANISHING SPELLS
    Black Magic Spells and Curses to Destroy Enemy or Evil People. Protection from Black Magic Spells and Curses

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 61 years old, I contracted hpv in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr Onokun herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr Onokun he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr Onokun make it possible for me. Here is Dr Onokun email: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or website: https:// Dronokunherbalcure.wordpress.com/ page at: https://www.facebook.com/naturaltreatment1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help me thank Dr jaj who help me bring back my wife and also cure me from HIVI mess up a lot with my wife because I don't tell her that I have HIV because i was afraid she may live me or feel so bad that she may even take her life because i was thinking she has HIV as well  bout so somehow she find out and left me just, so my Dr tell me not to worry and give me drugs, bout i feel like killing myself at that point i tell my friend Hanat at work and she give me information about a spell caster that can help me bring back my wife and also cure me from HIV i never believed at first bout she ask me to and believe him, when i contact this Dr he tell me what to do which i did, and now my wife is back and am cured of HIV I never believed that there is someone that has so much power to do the undo i thank you Hanat and Dr jaj please if there is  anyone that need the spell please contact him now on drjajspellhome@gmail.com /  drjajspellhome@yahoo.com
     or whatspp him on his number +2349031670905

    this dr can also help you with the following 
    SPELL TO GET OUT OF JAIL ,DEARTH SPELL,LOVE SPELL,MONEY SPELL,SPELL TO BE SUCCESSFUL,SPELL TO KILL ANYONE,  SPELL TO GET PREGNANT 

    ReplyDelete
  5. reetings
    Join the Illuminati today so you can be rich powerful and famous and change your life forever. For the first time in history, our organization is seeking candidates for Illuminati membership from the billions of citizens on this planet. All people, in all places, are invited to apply. So are you interested? If yes you can message me on WhatsApp + 234 8132317169
    Sat 5:51 A

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you having issues in your relationship, or finding it difficult to have a child of your own or are you the type having any diseases in your body. I will advice you to contact Dr. Abolo of Abolospell@gmail.com . The potency of his spell is so effective and can reunite broken relationship and can also make one get pregnant know matter the situation and not only that, he also has the power to cure all type of diseases within the period of 48hours.. Contact him today and thank me later.
    Contact details : Abolospell@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 1 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. voodoo on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according .to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr. voodoo today on this Email address: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is true. Natural herbs have cured so many illnesses that drugs and injections can’t cure. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I read people's testimonies online on how they were cured of HERPES, HIV, diabetics etc by Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine, so I decided to contact the doctor because I know nature has the power to heal anything. I was diagnosed with HPV and Herpes for the past 3 years but Dr Akhigbe cured me with his herbs and i referred my aunt and her husband to him immediately because they were both suffering from Herpes but to God be the glory, they were cured too .I know is hard to believe but am a living testimony. There is no harm in trying herbs, visits to Contact Dr Akhigbe
    : Email: Drakhigbeherbalhome5@gmail.com
    ,WhatsApp number: +2349021374574

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are a lot of misconceptions about what it means to be living with Herpes simplex virus (HSV). Ultimately, everyone’s lives are different – how you cope with your diagnosis and how you move forward is up to you.

    The 21st of June 2013 was the day I was diagnosed with Herpes simplex virus (HSV). l was so worried that I cried out endlessly. On the way there I was crying and shaking the steering wheel, I just didn’t know what I should do.

    After that day, my depression was at all-time high, but slowly, I started to do my own research, looking at what I should do next and then last month, i came across a website which was about cure for Herpes simplex virus (HSV) and other STD's.

    I took the contact details from the website and contact the doctor (Dr. Robinson buckler), and after much inquiry, we came to a conclusion and he sent a herbal medicine to me through the courier delivery service, and he also gave me guidelines on how to take the medicine.

    After 9 days of taking the medicine, i discovered that all painful sores in the genital area, the itching, painful urination,
    and tender lumps in the groin was no more, and i went for a medical test, and i was so amazed to see my test result showing NEGATIVE. I then went to another hospital, and my test result is still showing NEGATIVE till date.

    I think life has given me another chance to be happy and free, I now do what I can to inspire others through these battles.


    For anyone out there affected with herpes or you have relationship/marriage issues or want your Ex lover back.

    please contact Dr. Robinson buckler with the below link;

    Email: Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com,

    ReplyDelete